Toddler Babble and Freezing Temps

January 07, 2014

One thing about May that has been with her since she was born, is that she loves to talk. She was babbling when she was like 4 weeks old and now almost a month after she excitingly working her vocal cords. When my cat, Tabitha, who will be turning 19 in August, meows May will respond to her meowing by either screaming or saying something in her cute little language. Much of May's speech sounds like "bahs and da-da-das." There's other sounds I just can't put my finger on it. She sounds like she has a full conversation sometimes when she plays with her toys and it's so cute when she has her toy phone. She holds it up to her head and we are always asking her who she is talking too. I love having sitting with he too and just having conversations. I know she's trying to figure out what we are saying too. It seems she figured out "bye" and a few other words early on. When Rex and I would get off the phone we said "bye" and now May says "bye" too when we end a phone call. I know her language development will keep growing. I still read children's books to her at night, even though most of the time May just wants to play with the book. 

Just the other day, I took this picture of her after I had finished feeding her oatmeal cereal:

 

May has been giving us more hints when she's done eating like shaking her "no" and waving her hand back and forth like "stop." I'm still nursing her as well. Though I am home with her more, I'm not nursing her as much. May still seems to be interested in nursing and before she's 2, I'll have her weaned off. I have to look for more sources on how to transition her, though she's been more weaning herself off.

Now to the deep freeze in much of the Northern United States. Last night the temperature dropped to below zero and the high for today is only 15 degrees! I took a screenshot from my phone of the temperature this morning:

4 degrees and that 15 looks out of place! If you are experiencing temperatures like this, be sure to bundle up. The only plan I have to do today is to put up Rex from the Greyhound bus stop not too far away from the house. He has an interview today for a home health aide in Baltimore, and we're really hoping he gets it. I'm so happy he'll be here later today and I know May will be even more happy. The colder air and the heat are also drying out May's skin more. She's had a mild case of eczema since she was around 4 months. She had flaky skin and was scratching a lot. We put Johnson & Johnson lotion on her and to be more organic I got Shea Moisture baby lotion. None of it seemed to help and it actually seemed to be making matters worse. The doctor told it was eczema and that she would probably grow out of it when she gets older. The doctor also recommended we bathe her with dove unscented soap and put either Vaseline or Aquaphor on her skin twice a day. Let me tell you the Aquaphor really helped her skin. For the scratching, the doctor recommended we rub 1% hydrocortisone on her one a day. The hydrocortisone helps to keep her from scratching, we also keep her nails short.

My grandfather's funeral is tomorrow :-( This is starting to become an all to familiar occurrence.

You Might Also Like

0 comments