Bittersweet 11 Months

November 13, 2013

May is 111 months old today, just one more month until she's a year. She isn't walking on her own yet but she's still holding on to the back of our legs and she is walking holding our hands. May also has such a vocabulary already. She knows about five or so words. She can say, "momma," "daddy," "hi", "bye", "baby" and "bee." I have to record her one day during her many times she's on a roll just talking playing with her toys or roaming the house. Roaming the house she does! Now we find May everyone. Trying to get under the TV entertainment center, crawling under the dining room table, pulling down books on the second shelf of the bookcase, among many others. We constantly have to say "don't touch that," or "what's in your mouth?" I know as she gets older, we'll sound like a broken record. May is eating more solid foods as well and next month we'll introduce more foods to her.

Today has been bittersweet though. Just two days ago my Aunt Cathy and May's great Aunt, in North Carolina passed away. She was having chemotherapy treatments ever since the doctors found cancer in her throat. The last time I spoke to her was November 9th. She sounded not to good on the phone and said that her immune system was very low. I told her about how May was doing, as she absolutely adored May, and she chuckled as much she could. She also said she'd pray for Rex to get better and our financial situation, and  I said I'd pray for her to get better and that I loved her. Then November 12th, my father in NJ called early in the morning to tell me she had passed away the night earlier. The whole family is devastated. The doctors think it was a blood clot. We find comfort knowing that she is with her husband, my uncle who passed away in June of last year and with my grandmother, her mother, whom May is named after. My aunt was such a nice person and would give you the shirt off her back. She gave May her crib, her pack-and-play, her first doll and most of all love and support. Here's a picture of May with her great Aunt from earlier this year.

We'll miss you deeply Aunt Cathy. I'll be going to NC with my parents, on Monday to say goodbye. May will be staying in MD with Rex and our family friend. I'll be down in NC for a day. We found out somewhat of a diagnosis of Rex's condition. He went to the emergency room on the 10th. I thought he was having a heart attack. It turns out the symptoms were that of an anxiety attack. I looked up more information about anxiety attacks and we both are sure what the main cause is, but more relieved now that there's a name on his condition, at least now. We're finding ways for managing the attacks, though it'll take time. It's very new to the both of us.

It might seem now that things are rough, but we know it'll get better. I read an email my aunt sent me back in October. She said, "Just be calm and everything will be OK." I know it will get be better. Everything in patience.

You Might Also Like

0 comments