We're Pregnant

June 02, 2012


Say what? Hehe. Yup it's true. Rex and I are expecting. The funny thing about it is, I kind of knew I was, before I took the pregnancy test. I took the pregnancy test back in April.

I had been feeling a little sick towards the end of March. I had gone to Tallahassee for a conference and the food there made me nauseous. I also noticed children more in my presence. It might sound weird but when I went out to eat at the mall, the day we had arrived in Tallahassee, I sat and noticed there was a small boy looking at me. The small boy was next to me. Before that, as I waited in the hotel there was a small girl that went up to me as I was sitting and was looking at me. I said "hi" and her parents called her back. On the flight back to DC, there was a baby sitting in the sit right in front of me. The baby looked back at me. About a week after the conference, Rex and I went to eat at the Longhorn restaurant and there were children sitting like all around me. You might say I sound paranoid but I never really noticed the presence of so many children around me before. I thought maybe the children looked at me because of my hair too. At that time I had Senegalese Twists in. Nevertheless I told Rex, "I think God is trying to tell me something."

Rex also felt my stomach one day and said it was really warm. I said it was warm because I am alive and I was bundled up. So when I missed my period, I decided to wait a few days before taking a pregnancy test because sometimes it was a day or two late. When I had missed it for about a week, I got a ClearBlue Digital Test with Rex and on April 11, I took the pregnancy test. I got the digital test because there is no mistaking 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant'. The test says either 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant'. So we waited, American Idol was coming on, and after about a minute, the result appeared, 'Pregnant.'


We hugged and smiled but I was not 100% sure. Those tests do have a 0.0001% chance of being wrong. So over the next couple of days I took two more pregnancy tests. One was from the ClearBlue package. They give you another one to double check. That one came up with a positive plus sign which meant pregnant. Another test came up with two lines which meant pregnant. By this time I got that I was pregnant. Immediately after learning the result of the digital test, I got necessary items for making sure, me and the baby were healthy. I started taking prenatal vitamins and drinking more water. I also went out and got Your Pregnancy Week by Week at Target.

I went to the student health center at Howard which more confirmed my pregnancy and I saw that I had gained 6 pounds. My appetite during a few weeks after that came and went. I didn't have much morning sickness but I did feel nauseous now and again. I'm a little past 13 weeks now and Rex and I are so excited. We both didn't have children before the pregnancy and this is our first. After a few rough patches, I found a great doctor's office in Silver Spring.

I went in for my first prenatal visit May 8th. There a lot of blood work was done and checking both the health of me and our baby. I was close to 10 weeks then and the nurse said she might not be able to find the baby's heartbeat but she took a doppler device and found the heartbeat very quickly. The baby's heart rate was beating at 167 beats per minute. I was laughing. I couldn't believe that there was actually a life inside me and I was so happy that the heart rate was normal. On May 15th Rex and I got a look at our baby through an ultrasound. I teared up a bit when I saw the fetus. The baby was already moving its tiny little arms and legs.

On May 25th I went in for a first trimester screening. The screening is to look for the possibility of Down Syndrome or Edwards Syndrome. The screening was advised by my doctor and today I received a letter from the screening office stating that my results are normal. As a doctor at the screening office saw the baby on through the ultrasound, he said looking at the ultrasound, the baby looked right on target for how many weeks past gestation I was. I got to see the umbilical cord too through the ultrasound, and a layer that was placed over the screen. It was amazing seeing our baby moving. Jumping actually. I can't feel any of the movement yet.


 The baby's arms

My stomach looks slightly bigger. I'm a skinny girl so it'll probably take until 5 months before I really start to show. I'm so excited and so happy. I know Rex will be a great father and things are happening they way they are supposed too. This is truly a blessing and I am experiencing an amazing stage in a woman's life. It's wonderful to think there is life growing inside me and even more wonderful to think that I'll be a mom and a wife by the end of the year. I'm due in December :-)

You Might Also Like

2 comments