Telling Grandma

June 24, 2012

I went back to NJ on Mother's Day to tell my grandparents and my best friend about the pregnancy.  My parents and I went to tell my grandmother and my grandfather but my grandfather was out doing his normal routine of walking a mile every day.  I returned the next day to tell my grandfather and he was happy. My best friend was happy too. My grandmother is happy but like many of my family members, shocked.

My dad video taped me telling my grandmother. It starts with a snippet of me reading her a poem, I had written when I first found out I was pregnant. The poem is called Joy. Here's the video*:


*In the video I said the due date is on her birthday Dec 7th, that was before I had gotten an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed my due date to be one day later, on the 8th.

Here's the poem I wrote Joy:

I never could have imagined,
The feeling that I feel,
You've felt it before,
That happiness,
That uncertainess,
That lovingness,

I was a baby
When you first held me,
Bundled up tight
Wondering where I was,

Year by year I grew,
Heading over to my grandparents house,
Listening to stories,
Learning how to be a woman,

Now I am experiencing the joy of being a woman,
A new life that grows inside me,
Soon you'll be able to hold ,
Bundle up tight,
As our child looks around wondering what is going on,

You are wonderful grandparents,
Even more special great-grandparents,
That other title will be my parents,
For our little one you are surrounded by love,
Now and forever.

4-18-2012

You Might Also Like

0 comments