Fun Day at Rocky Point Beach And Park

August 18, 2017



Today I decided to take the kiddos to the Rocky Point Beach and Park in Essex, MD. I've been hearing a lot about the beach from our daycare provider and even when I searched Rocky Point online, I did see a what looked to be a beach and people on the beach but I was still a little skeptic. Rocky Point Beach and Park is about 12 minutes from the home and I was bewildered that a beach was so close. The beach we normally go to is Ocean City, MD and I am from New Jersey so I went to Atlantic City and Seaside Heights.

The daycare was actually closed this week for our daycare provider's vacation, which was actually good too, because I was able to watch the kids this week, while Rex was working. I've gotten much of the documents in and my orientation is August 24th. Rex will be starting school the second week of September and summer is really winding down. We hadn't taken the kids to the beach and Rex and I had gone to the beach earlier this month for a get together in New Jersey in Asbury Park, NJ. We were meeting with friends from the Kean University meteorology department and we left the kids with my father, who was more than happy to take them. It was so windy that day and it must have been at least 15 to 20 mile an hour winds. There was no rain though.

There were no winds that strong at Rocky Point today and though rain was in the forecast, I figured I could take the kids earlier and try to avoid the rain. It did rain and it was actually in the evening but during our time there it was more cloudy. It was actually nice being cloudy because as we were leaving the clouds broke and it got sunnier and hotter. The cost for entering Rocky Point was $7, which I believe is per car. Swimming is only allowed when lifeguards are available which is Memorial Day to Labor Day. Labor Day is right around the corner. The park is big and there were many boats both on land and in the water. There were two playgrounds and a long trail which we didn't even follow it to see where it went but perhaps one day. There was plenty of parking, as many people just we're there as well. Some people were barbequing and it seemed very peaceful. We parked the car and walked across the street from the parking lot. We went past the restrooms and there was the beach. It was a smaller beach and it looked small from the pictures online but it was also more intimate and there were other kids playing in the water when we got there. It was not crowded and more started to crowd by the time we left.

The kids really had a blast. May used to be so scared to even step in the water and she was putting her feet in the water. Nia did the same. The water was cold at first, but by staying in the water it got warmer. The scenery was very pleasant. There were many boats but they were further away. The water was dark and there was a plethora of seaweed, rocks, and shells. Nia had a great time collecting them and throwing them back into the water while May wanted to build sandcastles and bury her legs. The sand was a little wet from previous rains, but it really felt like sand. There didn't appear to be a boardwalk or strip of stores for novelties but there were resting areas and places to sit and eat. I found it so relaxing sitting there and hearing the waves and just trying to calm myself from all the hurt of the world. It was nice just to relax. I didn't get to relax for long though because I still was watching the kids and I didn't want Nia to get too close to the water without me present and for May just to be throwing sand and digging like a wild animal. May told me later that she was digging for treasure.

Overall, we really had a nice time and I definitely hope to go back to Rocky Point for the park area and the beach area and just experience the scenery. I believe that the park is free after Labor Day so we might be going back very soon. Even if there is a cost, we can still go back, especially with Rex because I think he would enjoy the tranquility and scenes.  It's so close to our home! Tomorrow, we are planning to go to the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair and Carnival. Rex has been seeing the Farris Wheel and rides they have set up all week during his travel down that way for work. He actually mentioned it and I think it will be a great time for the kids.

Here are a few pictures from our visit to Rocky Point:

May by the water, we brought few toys for the visit too.

Sisters!

Little Miss Nia.

Little Miss May.

She sure did like getting close to the edge. Maybe she was a mermaid?

May making sand castles.

Miss Nia and I. She has a line on her nose from a scratch that healed from a fall she obtained
about a week ago.

Rocky Point!

All smiles!

View from the other side.

They had fun!

You Might Also Like

0 comments