We Voted!!!

October 31, 2012

Rex and I voted today for the 2012 Presidential Election. We opted for early voting. We voted two days after Hurricane Sandy devastated much of the East Coast, with NJ and NY being the hardest hit. I called my family in NJ and they told me they lost power the day the storm hit, but got their electricity back Tuesday.

We got strong winds and heavy rain, where we are in Maryland. The lights flicker on and off about 5 times during the storm and I was sure we were going to lose it by the following morning. To our surprise we still had electricity and there was minimal damage outside. We did notice part of the roof on the ground though. The storm has a major potential to affect the election. Many parts of the area hit are still without power and reports are saying they may be out of power for a week or so. The election is November 6. In those areas, I'm sure the people are more concerned about their homes that they lost and the rebuilding. Our thoughts are with them.

For the past two days early voting in Maryland was cancelled due to Sandy and when we went today the line was long. It took about an hour and thirty minutes to get inside to vote. It was unseasonably cold too. The cold air also brought high amounts of snow to places like West Virginia and Maryland during Sandy's wrath. While we waited we spoke to a nice couple. They were so nice. It's amazing some of the people you meet randomly. (Sometimes I can't believe how my husband and I met randomly and think about our lives now and I couldn't have imagined it, any other way.)

When we finally got inside we voted and we got a sticker. I'm so proud of Rex. To become a US citizen this July and vote in election, that's wonderful! There's so many people born in the US that don't vote and complain about who is president or other issues and forget that people had to fight for their right to vote. As an African American and a woman, voting did not come easy and I will vote in every election I am able to. Now I can get to legally changing my name over :-)




You Might Also Like

0 comments