I've Graduated!!!

May 12, 2014

Today I am pleased to say that I've earned my Masters in Atmospheric Science. Though the road was long, I am so happy that I accomplished this goal and I am looking forward to see what the future holds.

The date of the main ceremony was May 10th, while the more personal ceremony for Masters and Ph.Ds was on the 8th. I knew I wanted to be present for the ceremony on the 8th and left for Maryland with May on the 6th. That was the day the graduates had to pick up their cap and gown. My in-laws watched May as I picked up my cap and gown. Rex's aunt was so nice to offer us a place to stay so we didn't have to drive up to NJ and back the next day. Rex was working that Tuesday and Wednesday and took the bus to join us Wednesday night.

It was so good seeing our family in Maryland. May really had a good time being with her cousins. The ceremony on the 8th was very nice. It was held at the Cranton Auditorium. Though I hadn't gone to the auditorium that much during my years at Howard, I do remember the time back in 2011 when I got to see Michelle Obama speak. Rex came to the ceremony with May but May was very cranky. I wanted her to be at the ceremony but they left and waited at a building near by, not long after it started. I did get to walk across the stage and my classmates who were getting their Ph.Ds rooted for me. It was hot that day and many of the graduates had to take off their robes afterward. I was so happy to see my good friend and former classmate, KK, come to watch me graduate.

Rex and I decided to stay until Saturday, which his aunt said was fine because Rex's family wanted to throw a graduation BBQ for me that Friday. The BBQ was great and it was wonderful seeing a lot of family members we hadn't seen in a long time. There were many family members and friends. I invited KK and she had a good time too. This is the cake for me:


It was gone in about 40 minutes. We left around 11 pm because I also decided that I was going to go the main ceremony on Saturday. I originally was not going to because I knew there was going to be a lot of people but I'm happy we did go because it was a very good event. The graduates were supposed to arrive at 7 am in the morning. I got there around 7:30 am. It was OK because all we did was line up before it started. Rex and I decided to leave May with her cousins during the event. Rex's step-mom and his brother's girlfriend came. I also invited KK. This event you needed tickets to get in and each graduate was only given four. My parents didn't come for either ceremony. I know it would be hard for them to get down to Maryland. I also knew they were very proud.

The commencement speaker was rapper P.Diddy. I had my doubts about him but he actually did pretty good. He attended Howard for 2 years and dropped out, but he always kept Howard in mind. He made references to him not completing his degree and talked about following dream and recognizing the power within ourselves. He also received an honorary doctorate degree. CNN reporter Wolf Blitzer also received an honorary doctorate. It was cool seeing him because Rex watches a lot of CNN and Wolf Blitzer is one of his favorite reporters. After the ceremony, I posted a picture of Wolf Blitzer to my Twitter account and he actually replied. I was shocked!

The event was about 4 hours and the rain held off for much of the ceremony. The interim president of Howard had to kind of end the ceremony abruptly towards the end of the Ph.Ds walking on stage, do to rain drops. Not long after it poured. It only poured for a few minutes though. I didn't care, I was dancing in the rain. I was and still am so happy to have graduated. I was struggle towards the end of the completion of my thesis. I thought I'd never complete it. I lost motivation when I couldn't find jobs before the completion and when we lost our housing in MD. I remembered though that I had to finish what I had started. Four years ago I took my first steps at Howard, not knowing anyone. I took classes and workshops, also a writing exams. All at which I passed. Along the way I made friends and participated in a student organization and community events. I also met the man who would soon become my husband (off campus), and we had a beautiful girl together. It's been bumpy, but I'm very happy to be a Howard Alumni. I'm even more excited finally have my M.S.

As we work our way to get back on our feet, the realm of possibilities is even closer in reach!

Now for the pics!!
My amazing adviser/life coach Dr. William R. Stockwell and my friend and former classmate Dr. Charlene Lawson.



 With my in-laws.
 With my friend and former classmate KK.

 Love this pic. 

 The good ol' Founder's Library.

 Shot of Wolf Blitzer (to the left) and P.Diddy (in the middle in black) on stage.
 Wolf Blitzer.
 P.Diddy


The science hall!

We did it!



You Might Also Like

0 comments