Lobbying and Cherry Blossoms

March 14, 2012

I was on Capitol Hill in DC yesterday, helping to lobby for a program called TRiO which helped get me to where I am today. Recently the program has undergone loss of funding and support for students has been significantly reduced. Some programs may even been shut down for good.  I met up with one of the directors of the Ronald E. McNair Program at Kean University. She has come to Capitol Hill in the past, showing her support for the TRiO program and helping to show its importance.  There where also many other members of the TRiO programs all over the United States. We met with legislative coordinators and members of congressmen from both political parties. I voiced my story about how McNair helped me acquire research skills and helped me get into the Ph.D program at Howard. I also voiced about how beneficial the TRiO program is on giving students an opportunity.

We also took notice to the earlier blossoming of the Cherry Blossoms. It was nice to see the Cherry Blossoms and get away from the ugly head of politics.

For more information on TRiO check here.
For more information about Ronald E. McNair for which the McNair program was created after click here.

Below are a few pictures of the Cherry Blossoms.



Here's me with a flower from the Cherry Blossom.

 “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You Might Also Like

0 comments