Natural History Museum Visit and Moon Project

September 09, 2017

Aquamarine exhibit at the National History Museum.

About three weeks ago Rex and I went to the National History Museum in Washington, DC. We had been to the museum in the past with my friend Carmen and her family and our kiddos over 4 months ago. It was actually Rex and the kids and I's the first time going. We have been to other museums in the DC mall area, more recently to the National Museum of African American History and Culture. I was very nice and inspiring in the museums but we usually have to rush the visit when with the kids, so when my parents took the children a few weekends ago, Rex and I decided to view more of the National History Museum. The children had a really great time with their grandparents in NJ and they went to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ. I would have put pictures in this post but my parents didn't take any.

It was so nice from what saw before. We went to the butterfly section and ocean section before. This time we saw more of the Earth and the minerals and gems. I didn't know the Hope diamond was there and I was determined to see it this time. I did and saw so much more. I really liked the gems and the meteorites were so amazing, including a large meteorite which made Meteor Crater in Arizona. I have a smaller piece of the meteor when my parents and I, saw the crater in AZ, over twenty years ago! I remember I was hyperventilating when I saw the crater, my mom thought it was a big hole in the ground.


Rex and I saw minerals and gems at the National History Museum. Here's just a look at a couple more:
A rainbow of minerals and gems.

Rainbow, cont.

The Hazen Diamond Necklace.

Cat's eye.

The Hope Diamond!
We'll take May and Nia to the museum again and so much more! Speaking of the space rock or meteorites, Rex, and the kiddos and I just completed a project for their daycare. The project is about the moon, as May and Nia are learning about space currently. Rex and I are so happy we found this daycare and it's a home daycare but our provider was previously a classroom teacher and is so understanding of our situation ever since we came over a year ago now. The curriculum is more like pre- K curriculum and May and Nia are getting such as great education.

Rex and I looking at kindergartens for May as she will be attending kindergarten next year. She is 4 and a half now, I just can't believe how fast she and Nia are growing, but she won't be 5 until December. Rex and I decided to enroll her next year for kindergarten for the Fall of next year, but we know we have to enroll her early next year. We might be moving too, closer to my job in White Marsh and it's actually not too far from our daycare provider as well. We will have to see though because I did just start working and it has been very informative and my teammates are very nice. Rex and I have some time though because though we have not faulted on paying the bills, we increased our debt more and we both would like to decrease that a bit before moving or something like that.

Sigh, with all that we all had a good time making the moon project this morning. I decided to do the phases of the moon from foil and Nia and May helped to crumble the foil, glue the pieces including the pompoms as galaxies and nebulas and cut the paper. Rex helped to draw the circles and cut the paper too and put on the glitter. I think it turned out good and it was nice to flex our creative muscles. I remember making projects with my father. He would really go all out for the projects. I know there will be plenty of projects for the kids in the future and I'm sure one of them will have lights and holographics.

Our finished project 😀 :

You Might Also Like

0 comments