Meeting Dan Aykroyd

September 21, 2013


Yesterday, I got the chance to meet legendary actor, singer, screenwriter and comedian, Dan Aykroyd! I met him at my temporary assignment as a receptionist at Republic National Distributing Company in Jessup, MD. I was placed there by Office Team, an administrative staffing agency. The agency has been very kind in finding me temporary employment. I've been looking for permanent employment since February of this year. I was trying to find a steady job before my stipend from fellowship at Howard University ended (I am still a student there, as they are paying for my tuition.) I did get a few interviews but no offers and decided to go through the agency because I have background experience in an administrative setting. I'd have been working with RNDC for three weeks, when I got to meet Mr. Aykroyd.

With RNDC being the second largest beverage alcohol distributor of premium wine and spirits in the United States, there's many showcasing of wines and spirits and the company is very professional. The day started out with me loading the daily PowerPoint slide. I was given a different PowerPoint presentation to load entitled "Crystal Head." I did not know Dan Aykroyd was coming until I saw the first slide which stated "RNDC Welcomes Dan Aykroyd." After that one of the managers asked me if I knew who he was and I replied "Yes." One of my favorite movies is My Girl and I liked him in The Campaign and Ghostbusters. She explained to me who to get in contact with, (I was going to write, "who to call"), when he showed up. He was scheduled to give a presentation of his vodka line at 9:30 am and arrived to the building at 9:10 am. He came with about five other people from the line. They all arrived in a GMC SUV. 

Aykroyd walked through the front door, wearing black and his signature tie. He greeted two managers when he first came in, asking them their names, and shaking their hands. Then he proceeded to the receptionist desk asking me my name and shaking my hand. I remembered my name! Hehe. I told him "Tasha" and he smiled and then he signed the sign-in sheet on the desk. I said "Thanks for signing-in," and he proceeded to the conference room where the meeting was to be held. I was very casual and not overly excited. He seemed as charming as he is in his movies and and very personable. Later that day, I got a second chance to meet him after the presentation was over. Some of the managers asked if we wanted to take a picture with him. Of course I said "Yes" and called one of the representatives so she could relieve me a bit earlier before my lunch break. I had spoken to one of the men he came with, when he was in the meeting and when I went to the conference room. I believe the man was his driver.  The driver said "Mr. Aykroyd this is Tasha. She'd like to take a picture."  Aykroyd paused from signing the numerous boxes of Crystal Head. I gave my phone, opening the camera app, to the driver and Aykroyd shook my hand again and asked me if I went to school around the area and I told him I went to Howard University and that I was studying Atmospheric Science. He asked if I had been to an observatory in New York. I replied "No." The driver took two pictures. The last one came out better. After taking the picture, I thanked Mr. Aykroyd and he said "We have a meteorologist." The driver asked me if the picture on my phone was of my daughter. Me and the driver then spoke about our children and he showed me a picture of his daughter on his phone. After that conversation I went on my break and later I found out that Aykroyd left through the front door and got into the driver seat of the SUV and drove off with the rest of the members of the crew. 

It was awesome meeting Mr. Aykroyd and he is such a nice person. His crew was very nice as well and the event was very professional. Some of the managers got some of the boxes the vodka which retails for around $50. 

Rex has also been spending more time with May while I've been at work. I absolutely adore this picture he took of him and our little one.
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments