We're having a girl!

August 02, 2012

Finally Rex and I know the gender of our baby. We're having a girl! We are so excited. We went in for the ultrasound earlier today and the ultrasound tech asked if we wanted to know the sex, at the end of the ultrasound. I said we wanted to know but we wanted her to write it on a piece of paper and seal the result in an envelope. I saw this idea on Youtube, to ask a bakery to bake a cupcake or cake with blue or pink filling, if the baby is a boy or a girl, then when you bit into the cake, the gender is revealed. She was very nice and we saw that she was very healthy and everything on track.

We saw her heart, her head, her spine, her brain, her arms, her legs and her face (it looked more like a skeleton). We also saw the blood flow going to her. Her heart rate was 144 which is 1 beat less than the last visit. I'm sure at one point we saw the sex because the tech never told us to look away, but for some of the time I didn't really know what I was looking at. I'm so happy she's doing well and that the amniotic fluid is also good.

From the doctor I found out that I'm on track for weight gain and I'm actually the same weight I was last visit. She said that during the first trimester, I didn't weigh too much more than my starting weight and that the 8 pounds I gained last visit, was more of a catch up. The doctor also measured my stomach and the measurement looked fine.  I'm just a natural worry wart.

After the doctor's visit we went to a bakery and asked if they could make a cupcake filled with blue or pink icing depending on the sex of the baby. At first the baker didn't know what we meant but as we explained it, the baker said sure and that they'd to it. We picked up the cupcakes (we only got two) and saw that the outside was white and the top was covered with white icing. We found a place to park and I handed a cupcake to Rex and as I was taking down the wrapping, I saw a pink bit of icing on the wrapper. I screamed "It's a girl!." I bit in and saw that the icing inside was pink. As Rex bit into his, he saw his was pink too. It was so wonderful. I couldn't contain myself for a moment. Rex was smiling and said "Yup." He was hoping for a girl, since all of his brother's have a boy as the first born child. I didn't have a preference and I kept going back and forth. The belly position seemed more like a boy and the family history seemed like we would be having a boy, but those heart rates above 140 every visit, really said girl. The first visit was 167, then 157, than 145 and now 144. We would have been happy to have a boy too. We just wanted our baby to be healthy.

I guess that Chinese Gender Predictor was right! 

Here are a couple of pictures:

 Envelope of knowledge

 Before finding out.

 Rex with his cupcake.

 It's a girl!

 Daddy's little girl.

 Mommy's girl.

 Our baby.
Her feet.

We're going to name her May Kolu Sumo. May after my grandmother who passed away in 1999 and Kolu after Rex's mother in Liberia.

We love you May!

You Might Also Like

0 comments